Monday, August 5, 2013

Saint George Island

Not sure about the waves!
We took Journey to the beach for the first time ever on Saturday. She was confused by all the water!!!! It was a lot of fun though. The face she made the first time she got a mouth full of salt water... PRICELESS!!!

We spent a lot of time just letting her run in and out with the waves and then Derek & Journey picked up sea shells for a while. She thought that was pretty cool. I was sitting up on the beach and she'd bring me her shells to hold. Way too cute. Journey also liked chasing the little birds along the shore line. Next time we go we'll have to take buckets and shovels.

Saint George Island is about 1.5 hours away from where we are. It's beautiful!!! Definitely the first beach you come to that is worth stopping at (every where else looks a little murky and doesn't have bathrooms or a shower off area). It also has long white sand beaches and the sand is really soft!!

Journey got a mouth full!!
It is so strange to both Derek and I that we can drive 45 minutes and see the ocean. Really strange... Oh.. and did I mention there are watch for BEAR signs everywhere?!?! I had NO idea that there are black bears here!!! Alligators, Yes. Bears, NO. However... we have not seen a bear yet :)

The lady at Saint George Island State Park was weird... She was so enthralled with the white squirrels. She kept telling us to go up to another park (closer to Tallahassee) and park near the bathrooms to see the white squirrels.. Kid you not. She said it at least 3 times. Guess we might want to see one eventually?? We have squirrels running all over our back yard but not white ones. Maybe one day we'll see them.

Ack!!! Derek almost hit a bird on the way home!!! Seriously... imagine a BIG BIRD eating something off the road 1/2 a block in front of you. I keep saying "Derek, slow down. DEREK, Slow down. DEREK SLOW DOWN!!!!!" about that time I reach up and grab the "oh crap" handle to brace myself. Derek is literally INCHES from this bird as it flies off and he'd only slowed down 3 mph!!! He laughed at ME!!!! I know the bird wouldn't have come through the window or dented the car (too badly) but I still grabbed that stupid handle bracing myself for the mental reaction. Oh boy... He'll NEVER let me live this down. I didn't want him to hit the bird!!! That's all!!! I think he laughed at me the entire hour in a half drive back home... Glad he got his laugh in for the day :P

Anyway, the beach was a lot of fun and it felt really good to get out of the house for the day!!!
Just being cute :)
Derek showing Journey the sea shells

No comments:

Post a Comment