Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!!

I had a fantastic birthday. I was a little worried about how the day would go when Derek (shortly after we'd finished breakfast) walked into the hallways and said, "NO NO JOURNEY DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!" He wasn't be gruff or mean but it was the tone I didn't understand. So I stepped into the hall right behind Derek and to see what was going on. Journey was sitting on her floor, shattered light bulb (you know... the spiral mercury kind...)  between her legs and the lamp was hanging hap-hazardously from her dresser!! Derek immediately threw her in the bath tub and I started to clean up the mess while dialing poison control. Poison control basically said that one light bulb was not going to kill her and to make sure it was cleaned up well. However... I learned an important lesson. You DO NOT vacuum up broken mercury bulb. You use cardboard to pick up the big pieces, really sticky tape to get as much of the rest as possible, and then you can vacuum up all the little pieces in the carpet.. BUT then you must double bag everything, clean/change your vacuum filters and dispose of it that way. CRAZY. Anyway, everyone is fine, but it was definitely one of those "ACK" moments no one really wants to experience. By the way.. In case you were wondering... that was the only source of light in her room. Now, instead of a table lamp, she has a swag light attached to the ceiling so that NEVER happens again!! I like it more anyway... it puts off way more light than that little lamp did.

But the rest of the day went great. I looked up places to eat and found a raving review about a burger/sandwich shop about 5 miles from us. Decided to give it a try because of the reviews but when we showed up Derek & I both just sat in the car!!! The place looked TERRIFYING!!! Based on the reviews I had imagined a Players Sports Grill type of establishment but NO... This looked nothing like Players... Actually... this looked like an old beaten up store front and looked pretty darn sketchy from the outside to both of us. We sat there... for probably 3-5 minutes trying to find anything, anything but that on our GPS that sounded good. I had my mom on the phone looking up Red Robins but there aren't any in Tallahassee!! Then, a younger family with children walked out of the restaurant.. That made us feel good enough about it that we decided to try it...

It was great!! Definitely like Red Robin more but it was definitely a unique little establishment. They had some of the craziest burgers available. Some even had PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY on them!!! Crazy right? They had the best sweet potato fries I've ever had and the portions were HUGE. We both brought home 1/2 a burger with 1/2 our fries. I can see why people were raving about it online. It was very good. It was a good lesson for us though. A lot of the eateries here look pretty run down since most of the buildings are pretty old. It's not like Utah in that respect. But the inside was clean, well taken care of and was worth trying :)

Anyway, we went bowling after that and then came home to watch my favorite movie. It was a good day!!!

Journey loved her babysitter. Holy smokes Journey did NOT want her to leave!!! They must have played hard because Journey was pretty worn out and went to bed easily after she left. I'm so glad we were able to find a good baby sitter so fast!! We definitely needed the break and needed to get out of the house on a date together. It was very relaxing!

Anyway, all is well here. It was good to Skype with some of our family Sunday. I'm grateful for modern technology and the ability to see and talk to our families without having to jump on a plane, bus or train. It was really nice and Journey enjoyed giving them a show with her "drums". Hopefully we can catch more people in a week when we Skype again!

No comments:

Post a Comment